Movements, survival and habitat use by elk (Cervus elaphus) reintroduced to Northwestern Ontario
McIntosh, Terese Elizabeth
Master of Science
MetadataShow full item record
Once native to Ontario, eastern elk (Cervus elaphus canadensis) occupied much of the deciduous forest biome of eastern North America. However, increasing human settlement, as well as demands for meat and agricultural land resulted in their extirpation during the late 1800s and early 1900s. In 1995 the government of the province of Ontario announced an elk restoration initiative, and from 2000 to 2001 a total of 108 western elk (Cervus elaphus manitobensis) were translocated from Elk Island National Park (EINP), Alberta, to northwestern Ontario. Subsequent monitoring of the elk provided unique opportunities to measure their success in a boeal landscape, assess reintroduction methodologies, and gain knowledge required for future management strategies. The specific objectives of this study were to examine the spatial behaviour, habitat relationships, and population characteristics of the recently reintroduce elk. As well, data relating to the transmission of two cervid parasites, Fascioloides magma and Parelaphostrongylus tenuis, on Ontario range were collected. Two years after the initial reintroduction, 70% of the elk were still within 20 km of the release site. The remaining 30% (10 adult males and 12 adult females) permanently dispersed to the south, approximately 90 km from the release site. Mean maximum distance moved following release was farthest for elk translocated as adult males (68 ± 15 km ), follow ed by adult females (37 + 6 km ), female calves (8 + 1 km ) and male calves (6 km + 0.7 km).