Studies on host selectivity by Cuscuta gronovii
Joseph Jesudoss, Caroline Snow
Honours Bachelor of Environmental Management
DisciplineNatural Resources Management
Cuscuta host selection
MetadataShow full item record
The host selectivity of the plant parasite Cuscuta gronovii, and its growing patterns were investigated among pairings of corn, bean, and tomato plants in various combinations. These pairings were set up in pots, in a greenhouse environment. Seeds of C. gronovii were germinated and a single seedling was placed between each pairing. Observations were made over a two week period. It was observed that only 11% of Cuscuta gronovii seedlings made a choice with regards to host selection, the remaining 89% failed to make a choice as they either died, showed inhibited growth or nondirectional growth. Suggestions are made to explain why these results deviated from those found previously in the scientific literature.